Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1 Year on Etsy!

Today is the 1 year anniversary for my Etsy shop.  And what a year it has been.  It has had it's ups and downs, but it's all been worth it.  I have come a long way and learned so much about Etsy and about making a successful shop.  By no means can I quit my day job, but things are on the upswing. 

I started out on Etsy not knowing anything about it...I hadn't even bought anything on Etsy.  But, it looked like a great venue for my hand made items.  I really had no idea if my yoga mats would even be something people would want to buy. And as it turns out, they do like them. And, I am still the only one on Etsy hand painting yoga mats! And with the success of the mats, I also added yoga accessories.  I now have yoga straps, blocks, hand stamped yoga-inspired jewelry and key chains and also my canvas paintings. So, it's a one-stop-shop for all your yoga needs. And makes great gifts for anyone you know who does yoga. 

For people just starting out on Etsy, I want to give you a few pointers...I want to say that pictures are your number one selling point!  The picture is the first thing people see and if they don't like that little thumbnail picture or yours doesn't set you apart from the rest, you won't be successful.  And use all 5 of your pictures.  Since people can't touch and feel and pick up your item, you want them to get the most out of your pictures.  It will make them feel more comfortable with their purchase.

And another thing, use social networking sites!  I have a Facebook Page, Twitter account and obviously a blog.  The more you are on the web, the easier it will be for people to find you through search engines, such as Google. 

And one thing that has worked tremendously for me was to join an Etsy team.  Not a lot of newbies even know about teams.  But, they are out there.  You can join a local team, or a team that is specific to what you make.  There is tons to choose from.  I am on the Eastern Wa Team.  And they have been nothing but great.  They support you, never make you feel stupid for asking dumb questions and it really feels more like a family!

So, here is to many more successful years!

No comments:

Post a Comment